Wednesday, July 23, 2008

More about School

You might get tired of me blabbing on and on about school. Allow me to offer my half-hearted apology. :)

Jeff's financial aid went through, so we are now ready to roll. Okay... maybe not quite. We still have to work through our transportation problems. If we can figure out how to safely get the Lumina in for a diagnostic check, that would be a start. Jeff is convinced the engine is blown, and if it is, we have to decide whether it's worth it or not to spend $3000 fixing a car that might be worth $2500. But that's beside the point.

All the school pieces are in place. We find out who will be Braeden's teacher on the fourth, and he has a half-day on the sixth, with his first full day on the eight. (Hold me!) All I have left for Braeden is to buy school supplies and a pair or two of shoes. I've gone through his clothes and he has more than enough to get him through, at least until cooler weather.

Jeff & I will begin classes on the 23rd. On Thursdays, we'll ride into Chattanooga together. I'll have my Anatomy & Physiology lab, and he'll have tests. I'll be missing Wednesday night services for the first time in nine years, but it was my only choice - A&P isn't offered in Kimball at any other time. Not sure I like that, as Wednesday is my favorite service.

I feel rather dorky, but I am soooo excited about this! I feel like I'm getting a second chance in a sense. It's not that I didn't do well in school the first time - but I know I could have done so much better. Something about being married and having a kid gives a person a sense of maturity that didn't exist at 21!

It will be interesting to see how education has changed in the nine years since I graduated. I feel quite comfortable in my computer skills, so it's not like I'm worried - just curious. Nine years ago, I could count on one hand the number of students who had laptops. Now practically everyone does. I've already seen some effects - I registered online (in my pajamas) for classes. No more waiting in long lines to sign up for classes! Even better, I kept hitting the site for several days until I was able to squeeze into a class that had previously been full. Soooo much more convenient.

Enough rambling for now - must go back to work!

No comments: