Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fight!

Check out this article:

Fight Between Bradley Central High Students Leads to Stabbing

|

One student suffered a superficial wound and another is in custody following a stabbing at Bradley Central High School.
Bradley County Director of Schools Johnny McDaniel says two boys got into an argument about 8:15 Wednesday morning.
He said a punch was thrown and then one of the boys was stabbed in the abdomen with a pocket knife, "We did go on lockdown just to make sure all students were in class. Everything was handled very smoothly. Unfortunately, a student was injured. It was an altercation over a girl."
McDaniel says the suspect will face discipline under the school's zero tolerance policy.
Charges are also pending the completion of the sheriff's department investigation.
Additional SRO's were sent to the school for the remainder of the day.
The school also made counseling available for students who witnessed the fight.


Say what? Counseling for the witnesses? That must've been some fight. I understand that the kid got hurt, and I guess I feel bad for him, but given the amount of violence on TV and video games, I can't imagine it being too shocking of a scene to the onlookers, unless the kid's guts were spilling out all over the hall.

Back in the day (you know, when I was in high school), a fight was the highlight of the day and rumor mill fodder at least until the next big fight. I don't recall any witnesses who needed counseling after the fact, either.

Weird.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeing something on television is very different from seeing it in full color, right in front of you. Even a mild act of violence can really affect sensitive people. You're gonna be a nurse, so blood and guts won't bother you, but for someone like me, I can see how it would be a bit traumatizing.

Amanda Mac said...

I can see that. I can also see how I came off as totally insensitive - which I didn't mean to do. It's just puzzling to me.

Maybe I should go back to bed.

AUsome mom said...

Well, my thoughts are that "parents" should be counseling these kids, not some school official. It does not take a "village" to raise a child, it takes parents.

Amanda Mac said...

True enough... we refused to sign the form that would allow our son to be "counseled" by anyone at the school. We were explicit in saying that we wanted to be informed and present before he went into any counseling sessions, and we reserved the right to veto.