Friday, March 14, 2008

It Begins...

I'm honestly not sure if I should cry or celebrate. Yesterday Jeff took Bebo to register for kindergarten! It's a bittersweet thing, to think of your baby growing up like that. Braeden was so excited. Jeff had to fill out some paperwork, and then they gave Bebo a skills test of some sort. Jeff said he peeked in and that Braeden seemed to be very well-behaved. Whew.

I don't think I'm too unusual - there's a certain amount of worrying that has to be done. You know, the whole will-my-kid-measure-up bit. I know that Bebo is pretty sharp, but I also know I'm going to have a busy summer with him. We have to work on tying shoes and buttoning tough jeans. (Any hints on how to make this easier? Poor kid has got some jeans that I can't hardly fasten.)

The two Big Things are recognizing the alphabet and learning to write his name. Braeden adores numbers. He literally counts all day long, and the little turkey can even do some basic addition and subtraction.

Letters are a different story. He has no interest whatsoever in writing, and I have struggled to even teach him how to correctly hold a pencil. He does recognize a few letters, but it's just not his thing. He greatly prefers math and music - is that an odd combination? - and I'm not sure how to get him interested in letters. He loves for me to read to him, but gets bored when I start trying to point out specific letters.

Ah, well. Guess I'll figure it out.

Incidentally, when they got home, I asked Bebo what he did at school. His answer?

"I played at the park!"

Jeff had turned him loose on the playground for a minute, and that is the only thing Bebo could remember to tell me. Of course. Guess he'll get an A in recess! :)

No comments: