Thursday, April 9, 2009

It's taken me a while, but I finally got a page about Bebo's birthday scrapped. We started the day with chocolate donuts and "special chocolate milk" (aka, Yoo-Hoo). I had planned on making cupcakes, but then I got sick the day before and decided it wouldn't be such a great idea. So the night before, we headed off to Wal-Mart to pick out cupcakes... except that Braeden wanted a cake, not cupcakes. I begged and pleaded, because I really didn't want to have to cut up a cake, but he was adamant. I gave in and carted home a somewhat ugly yellow birthday cake - but hey, it's what he wanted.

We had the school put Braeden's picture on the marquee, which he thought was the coolest thing in the world. Friday afternoon Jeff & I headed off to school with the cake, Transformers napkins, and Capri Sun in tow. Braeden was so proud to see us. He was wearing a little sticker that said "It's my birthday!" The kids sang to him (one little girl was totally off-key, and naturally she was the loudest). His reaction was just hilarious - he closed his eyes and got the funniest look on his face - you could see the internal conflict between being totally embarrassed and loving the attention at the same time.

It was then that we understood the obsession over the birthday cake. His teacher asked him first thing that morning if he was six, and he said "No. Not until the birthday cake!"



He got home and opened his gift from me & Daddy. The Leapster was a huge hit. Later we went to Grannie & Peepop's, where he got a bike and a play tent.

The original plan had been to go to Mom's last weekend, but he was still running a fever so we stayed put. Mom sent his package, and we got it yesterday - his very own Cuttlekids die cut machine! The child was in heaven. Jeff was - shall we say - concerned that it was too girly a present for a little boy, but Braeden really enjoys all things art. Mom had picked up a set of alphabet dies and some with trucks and motorcycles. When I showed Braeden how to use it, he exclaimed in utter delight, "Mommy, this is just the bestest birthday ever!"

Love that kid!

1 comment:

AUsome mom said...

Oh, to be 6 again. Sounds like little man had a great birthday. I can't believe he's a "cuttler" now! That is so great!! I expect to see a scrapbook page from him very soon. He's such a cool kid. You're very blessed. Your page is fantabulous!! I only wish I could do some digi scrapping. I have PSE but don't have a clue how to use it. It would be fun and I wish I could figure it out. Yours really looks great!