Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Random Christmas Musings

Holy cow, this time of year is insane. I had the brilliant idea to make gifts for most of the people on my list. Add that to the homemade cards that still need to be finished and mailed, the cookies and candy left to bake, and the rest of the parties to attend – and I am teetering dangerously close to the edge of insanity. If it ever got to the point where I couldn’t enjoy myself, I’d just quit. For now, allowing the creative fruits to be juiced is cathartic. It’s been far too long since I let loose and just made stuff.

The cards are simple affairs, as always. Even so, assembly is time-consuming. I’m only making 35 or 40 this year, but each one has six punched squares to assemble, plus an additional 4 stamps and the greeting inside. Intelligence finally struck a couple of years ago and I turned the whole process into an assembly line – punching all of one piece, stamping all of the next, and so on. Believe me, it makes it much easier.

The recipe book is nearly finished. I have to turn in the final draft to the printer tomorrow. All that’s left is throwing in the last few recipes and proof-reading to make sure I didn’t say 3 tablespoons of cayenne instead of 3 teaspoons. This turned out to be a gargantuan undertaking, but well worth the effort. It should be easy enough to add to the book as time goes by and I keep trying new recipes.

One more random tidbit – yesterday I received my first Christmas card of the year. It came from a dear old friend – a retired music teacher who took me under his wing years ago and taught me that I could accomplish anything I put my mind to doing. To the Mr. Gilkeys of the world – thank you, and Merry Christmas!

No comments: