Friday, June 1, 2007

Not a Reject

Something interesting and entirely unexpected happened in my last two days at the office.

People were actually happy to see me. It caught me completely off guard to have so many folks walk in the office, see me sitting there, and say something like - "Where have you been? We've missed you!" I even had one person try to convince my boss to make me work in the office again!

See, here's the thing: I am actually a shy person. I clam up like a frightened mollusk when I'm forced to endure parties. I don't mingle well when mingling is the only purpose. Even though I occasionally enjoy an alcoholic drink, I'm not at all interested in social drinking. You couldn't drag me into a club or a bar if you chained me to a dolly and rolled me in the door. Because of this, a certain someone (who shall remain unnamed) has informed me that I am a social reject; I'm anti-social and people don't like me.

I was starting to believe this person - until today. I do enjoy people; I am just more comfortable in controlled situations, particularly when it's one-on-one. And people do like me. Surprise, surprise.

I really needed that!

No comments: