Friday, January 5, 2007

The Red Thread

As part of my New Year's resolution, I'm reading The Lost Daughters of China by Karin Evans. I've wanted to read it anyway, since I'm really hoping to adopt someday. It turns out I've spent the first half of the book sniffling and pushing away tears. The plight of the Chinese women and children is horrific and mind-boggling - well beyond what my cushy American life will let me comprehend.

The Chinese have a belief that there is an invisible red thread that connects lovers long before they meet. The thread connects them and eventually draws them together in a perfect, meant-to-be relationship. Many of the parents adopting from China are taking on this idea. It's such a poignant thought - that somewhere, someday, there is a little girl who is meant just for me. I believe that if it's what God really wants for me, He will choose the perfect child for our family. In the meantime, I'll wait and pray, and wonder where that red thread will lead.

No comments: