Thursday, March 15, 2007

A Brief Synopsis of My Florida Excursion

I thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Florida. Truthfully, I never expected to like anything in Florida, but I think I understand its appeal to the masses a little better. Port Orange was one of the most immaculate cities I've ever seen. The weather was perfect - temps in the low 80s, cloudless skies, and a pleasant breeze constantly blowing. Quite a change my usual small-town pace of life - my friend has access to Starbucks, Target, Ritter's, and nearly everything else you could imagine. I admit that I am quite jealous.

Of course, I didn't go to see Starbucks. The whole point of the visit was to see Mr. Iain - Aimee's perfectly gorgeous 3-week-old. What a cutie! Braeden was absolutely adorable to observe - he kept Iain under close surveillance at all times. He'd sing to him in the truck, rock him when he was in the car seat waiting to leave, and even brought wipes, bottles, and pacifiers when needed. One of these days, Bebo is going to make an awesome big brother.

I wondered how I would do with the baby - would I forget everything I'd learned when Braeden was that age? I was a little concerned that four years would render me incompetent. Turns out I had nothing to fear. It felt so natural to be making bottles, changing clothes, and comforting the little guy. In fact, it felt pretty good.

Of course, I was glued to my new camera. I got some fabulous pictures of Iain, which of course I will share in a moment. We set up a makeshift backdrop using a clothes hamper and crutches (don't ask) and got some very sweet pictures of both Iain and Braeden.

The highlight was really the beach, though. I wasn't sure Braeden would do well. He tends to be a little timid about new things. At first, he only wanted to build a sandcastle. He would run to the edge of the water with his shovel, fill it up, and run back to dump it on his pile of sand. He did this countless times. Finally we got him interested in the water. I took him to the edge where the surf was coming in and we sat down in the water together to let it splash us as the waves rolled in. He would emit this high-pitched squeal every time he was a wave coming. Sometimes he'd yell "Shark-whales! I'm afraid of da shark-whales!" We both had a blast. There was hardly anyone on that stretch of beach. It was quiet and wide open for us to play. Now I know why people love it so much.

I needed that break. It was good to hang out with a friend (something I rarely get to do these days). Braeden was so good all weekend. I really needed that chance to relax.

As promised, here are the adorable baby (and Bebo) pics:

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I am so glad you got to come down! It was such an awesome weekend, and I have to say that I am very sad that it is over. All I can say, is that you will have to find a way to get down here more often!

I would thoroughly(sp?) agree that Braeden is going to be a fantastic big brother. I was amazed at how he got Iain ("Eye-un")to quiet down in the truck. Sometimes I think that maybe babies can just sense something in the gentler tones of a little child. (or big child in your guys case..lol) I can't wait for you to have that second one... and NO you have NOT forgotten anything about dealing with a baby... All I can say is I have plenty of lessons to take from you.

BTW... Iain seems to be sleeping fairly well in the last couple of days. We have been sleeping on the couch at around 1:00 for a couple of hours. Today, at Target, he was WIDE AWAKE for about 2 hours while I got out of the house... he was talking the whole time (a first!)

Do me a favor and email the pics of Iain and Bebo together! Love them! Your pics are getting TONS of compliments. Good job!