Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Great Positive Thinking Debacle

For the endless horizon of positive thinking that inundates us every day - I say 'Pphhhhbbbbbtttttt!!!!"

To listen and read some of the "just believe in yourself" jargon reminds me of listening to a high school valedictorian's address. "You can achieve anything you dream - just believe in yourself!" Hug, hug, smooch, smooch. Pass around the warm fuzzies!

Puh-lease.

In a previous attempt to lose weight, I fell prey to the "I can do it if I set my mind to it" lie. Yes, folks, that's exactly what it is - a lie. I can believe in myself all day long, but at the end of the day, I am destined to fail.

Why?

Because I am a dumb homo sapiens. Because since Adam and Eve, man is predisposed to sin. Because when I rely on my own strength, I come up painfully short.

So I'm going to take a different approach this time. Instead of focusing on losing weight, it's going to be more about not seeing food as an idol. I'd be lying if I tried to convince myself otherwise. I had gotten to the point where I was sneaking food, and that's not good.

Forget "believe and you can achieve." I have a new motto: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

No comments: